January 17 9:00AM
Race weekend is a go! Environment Canada at their 5:00 am forecast this morning predicts Saturday’s high temperature to be -20. We have reached the benchmark set for continuing to offer the Ontario Cup.
Start times will be adjusted – the Saturday race at this point is scheduled to start no earlier than 1:00 pm.
Note that we will there will also be changes to the course (shorter distances) for some age categories and Mini-midgets races are cancelled for Saturday. Maps to be updated shortly.
There will be more information about Sunday’s World Snow Day and race available soon. Please check the www.waldenxc.ca/ontario-cup for updates.
January 16 4:45PM
If the Environment Canada weather forecast for the Greater Sudbury area at 10am Thursday, January 16th indicates -21 C or colder on Saturday, Jan 19, O Cup #3 will be cancelled. If the forecast is -20 C or warmer on Saturday, the race will be go as planned with the final decision being made race day on site.
Hi everyone ,- coaches , athletes, parents etc
we are closely monitoring the weather predictions for the weekend .
The environment Canada website is the one we use in this area. It has consistently been showing a high temperature of warmer than minus 20 for both days.
EC uses the temperature from the airport which is usually 2 degrees colder than Walden . . we are calculating the warmest time of the day as well .
we will continue to monitor the situation and will post any weekend cancellation by Wed night .
At the TCM on fri night and also on saturday we will discuss further measures that will take into account the cold temperatures such as delaying start times and shortening races .
On another note – science North is offering half price entry for all skiers and families throughout the 3 days
please watch for a final decision on Wed nite . ( however – keep in mind it is consistently showing a legal start temperature .)
keep in mind that -15 is the cut off for mini midgets and that race is certainly questionable .
cheers and cross your fingers